Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday / Lent

Today begins the wonderful season of Lent. Historically people give up something to remind you of Christ's suffering's. Well both kids decide they are old enough to give something this year.

Emmalee choose sleep. As of day one she is doing great! She was up at 1:00am asking to watch "her movie called UP" and at 4:30 she came and stood next to the bed and shouted "cock-a-doodle-do mama" I tried to get her to lay down with me in bed but she is such a great Christian she didn't want to give in on the first day of Lent. Needless to say I was not planning on giving up sleep but may have to due to default. For the record she is currently running around in her swimsuit just like any other normal day so I am not so sure this is a sacrifice for her but I can promise you this is a huge sacrifice for me.

Ryan choose to give up his clothes. No, he didn't go to school naked but it was pretty close this morning. It went something like this:
Me: "Ry put your jeans on"
Ry: put his jeans on
Me: "why do you have them pulled up so high"
Ry: "I don't mama, I growed"
Me: "okay try these"
Ry: puts his jeans on
Me"button them up"
Ry: "I did"
Me: "come here let me make them as tight as possible with the elastic tabs. Okay what about this polo shirt?'
Ry: "Ya, (2 secs later) OUCH!"
Me: "what's wrong?"
Ry: "My head doesn't fit"
Me: "Oh sorry I didn't unbutton it (2 secs later) Oh, I did, I guess it doesn't fit"
Me: "What about this t-shirt?"
Ry: "Ya!"
Me: "nevermind your showing your bellybutton off"
Ry: "I can't just wear yesterday's"
Me: "no, try this button up dress shirt"
Ry: "It fits mama and my other shirts need to be sold to the other kids"

Thank God his socks and undies fit!

He got his snow pants on just fine but as I went to put his jacket on he said, "this one hurts my tummy on the bus. Can I wear a different one?" I am guessing when he sits this jacket is getting to tight around his stomach. I opened the front closet and the first one hanging there was a jacket I bought for him for next year. I bought it 2 weeks ago from Macy's during the "Go Red Sale" for $8.10. (still very proud of this purchase) Any way I tried it on him and it fit perfectly! It is TWO sizes bigger then his last jacket. Oh and I should add it is the same jacket as his old jacket because the world can only make so many green jackets. I would say Ryan is also an outstanding Christian seeing on day one he manged to give up 1 pair of jeans, two shirts, and a winter jacket.

As a good Christian I will give up plenty of money and suffer too this Lenten season as I am up all hours of the day and night shopping online for clothes for Ryan.

Thank God Easter is in six weeks!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, that is a GREAT post. I am almost ROFL at work. Hilarious! I'm sure you probably didn't think it was too funny at the times of these moments with your children. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete